Sunday, June 03, 2007

2007 Family Reunion in Iron Springs

In two and a half weeks, we'll all be together in Iron Springs for the Second Annual Foster Family Reunion. (See picture to the left.)

With extensive input from Grandma Maggie, here is a proposed schedule for the weekend's festivities. (It looks kind of busy at first glance, but it's actually quite loose and allows for plenty of leeway and down-time.)

Wednesday, June 20th


Mick, Mag, Meg, the Worland Fosters, and Drew, Kristen and Adam arrive very late at Iron Springs, approximately midnight.

Thursday, June 21st

  • Breakfast and Lunch: Everybody on their own

  • Morning: Margaret and Megan make a run to the store

  • Jeff, Angie and Cal arrive mid-morning.

  • Ty, Dana, and Max arrive early afternoon.

  • Afternoon: Settling into the cabin, visiting, and arguing over the topic of your choice.

  • Late afternoon: Expedition to the Boulder Pile. We'll see who can still fit down Phil the Tooth.

  • Dinner: Mickey and Margaret

  • Evening: Guitar playing, cards, etc.

Friday, June 22nd

  • Breakfast: Mark and Elizabeth

  • Morning: The Classic Matchup on the courts

  • Lunch: Megan and Adam

  • Afternoon: The Mole Hunt revisited--remember that game from the Ranch?--or some other creative Foster competition at Little Flat Rock (Jeff and Angie in charge)

  • Dinner: Ty and Dana

  • Evening: Catch a flick in Prescott. Ocean's Thirteen, anyone? (Megan in charge)

Saturday, June 23rd

  • Breakfast: The Girls have a Baby Shower/ Brunch for Wendi; the Boyz is on they own

  • Morning: The Boyz have a Ping Pong tournament (Adam in charge), then head to town to catch a matinee flick (something with high testosterone content)

  • Lunch: The Boyz eat at Sonic; Girls on their own after the brunch

  • Afternoon: Everybody gets cleaned up for Pictures on the tennis courts (Margaret in charge)

  • Dinner: Potluck with the Boice Clan on the tennis courts

  • Evening: Nertz tourney? Night-climbing? Guitar playing? We'll just let this night sort of happen . . .

Sunday, June 24th

  • Breakfast: Mickey & Margaret

  • Morning: Sunday Devotional in Iron Springs with the Rustand Family (Drew and Kristen in charge)

  • Late morning: Hike to the Old Mill? City Hill? Railroad loop? Humpty-Dumpty? (Ty and Dana in charge) . . . somewhere on this hike, Mark will challenge (and defeat) Drew in a forty-yard dash

  • Lunch: Drew & Kristen

  • Afternoon: Video contest screening (see below for details)

  • Dinner: Jeff & Angie

  • Evening: Official Foster Family Council (Mickey in charge)

  • Nighttime: Final family guitar session, featuring a group rendition of Soolaimon by Neil Diamond. Please listen to this song carefully, master its lyrics, and ponder its message deep in your hearts. We must do Neil proud on this night . .

Monday, June 25th


  • Breakfast: Ty and Dana

  • Morning: Golf Tournament, nine holes at Antelope Hills (Mark in charge)
  • Everybody clean up cabin and head for the hills by noon . . . on your own for lunch.

  • Reunion adjourned. To be continued next summer at Breckenridge thanks to Mick and Megan.

Other issues:

  • Video contest: to be explained further at the reunion. Teams will be formed, videos will be made over the course of the reunion, and a final screening will occur on Sunday afternoon. Ty, I need to talk to you about your laptop capabilities in editing/ showing the videos.
  • Food: I propose that Margaret be in charge of making a run to the supermarket on Thursday morning before everyone arrives and buys the food for the whole weekend. This way, we don't need to make many separate trips and we can consolidate on items like butter, milk, cheese, etc. We can then equitably split the total tab amongst all the families. To this end, everyone needs to plan their meals and gets their grocery lists to Mom prior to the reunion . . .
  • Cabin space: we'll all be cozily together in one cabin, but we need to be cognizant of everyone's space, and specifically of the little ones (and newborns) who need their bedtimes, naps, and peace and quiet. 'Nuff said.

That's it! What do you think?

Give me your comments, updates, criticisms, suggestions. We'll try and incorporate it all into the big picture and make this an unforgettable reunion!

8 comments:

Dad said...

First question I have is who the heck is that a picture of. If it is us, I must not have been there or is that me with the mustache.

More after I have had time to digest. It look great on first glance.

Dad

Anonymous said...

It looks like a good plan! Thanks for all of the thought and effort you put into making our time together so fun and memorable, Mark!

As far as the food goes, I don't totally agree with the one shopping trip. I agree that food such as milk and butter can - and should - be consolidated. This was something we thought through and talked about a few months ago when assignments and everything were made. Tyler and I were planning to make our shopping trip the night before in Vegas and so we would just show up and start the weekend without a trip to the store. I think it works for those of you who will be there on Wednesday night to put your lists together so that you all won't have to make a trip...

Well, maybe we should put it out there once again and see what everyone thinks. If the people want one trip, then we'll give the people what they want!

Just for the record, my vote is to keep it as it was and we will make adjustments with the milk/orange juice/butter/bread situations now that we will have a one-fridge weekend.

Everything else looks great to me! And my vote is definitely for Ocean's 13 and another Mole Hunt.

Jeff said...

I'm on board and I love the film contest idea. I think it will prove difficult on Ty's computer and with no TV to view the final films on. I propose that we postpone the film contest until Thanksgiving where we will be better equipped (2 computers and a big screen TV that Dad and I are going to buy this Fall!). Trust me on this.

Megan said...

Mark I feel honoured that you chose to put me in charge for a whole eveing, I know no one will be disappointed. Also I think a video competition will be fun although i am alright with one big family movie but whatever no one listens to me. Besides that I am so happy to see everyone and it looks like this will be a week to remember. And i belive you can indeed beat Drew at the fourty yerd dash. love, meggie as only you can call me

PS- That picture freaks of my mind!!!

Tankfos said...

I promise to rig the Ping Pong tournament so that Drew can't win!!!!!!! Looks like a great schedule to me.

AD

Angie said...

Markus--

I love the plan and we're getting very excited to see all of you! We're so lucky that we're going to have as many of us together for so long, and in such a special place.

The only thing is we're planning to do our own shopping trip for our Sunday dinner meal, plus the snacks, milk & O.J. we're supposed to bring. I liked how Dana had set that up because it's something we can do and it makes things a little easier for Margaret. Also, it helps everyone for us to do our shopping separate because we'll probably go on Saturday so we can help re-stock the milk supply half way through the reunion. However if you want to combine your shopping trip with someone, I think you should do it...and if there is some bulk sum of money from all the butter/milk/extra groceries, we'd be happy to pay our part. (I mean, we are rolling in dough, after all...)

Dad said...

I'll chime in with my 2 cents which is worth about 1/2 cent I think.

Schedule looks very crowded so lets leave it that if you want to do the activity planned go ahead but don't feel guilty if you don't and don't people get on my case when I just want to read!!

Love the guitar, card playing, games at night. We need to squeeze in a few resounding deep discussion somewhere in the fray. Would like to here some thoughts on various topics.

At the devotional on Sunday lets sing a couple of songs with the boys and dad and then one with the whole family. Need to bring hymn books.

Will need a bunch of walkie talkies for the Mole Hunt. We will bring two. Are there any others? We had like 8 out at the Skallas.

I'm fine with the food any way you want to do it. Dana's original idea sounded pretty good to me.

Somewhere we need a guitar concert with all the boys singing some of their songs. Which night? I guess you put that down but it would be fun to hear Jeff's latest and any others that you guys have been working on. I think the Rustands would like that also. Is that what you meant on Sunday night. I vote for a Barry Manilow rendition of I Write the Songs.

Prescott movies are always a must. None but Meggie will have seen Ocean's 13. Not sure what else will be out there. Could be slim pickings.

I love the golf idea but it will be expensive and we will all need to rent clubs so keep that in mind. 9 holes will be perfect. Who is in on that?

Thanks for putting some thought to it Mark. Nice outline of things we can do.

It will be lots of fun and a different kind of experience with all of us in one cabin.

Break out on pricing as I recall

Mark and Liz - $150
Ty and Dana - $150
Jeff and Angie - $100
Drew and Kristen - $50
Adam - $50
Mom and Dad and Meggie - $200

Not sure of total yet. Will adjust as needed.

Love you all
Dad

Goose said...

It all looks great. Kristen and I are really looking forward to seeing everyone. Also, just try and rig the ping-pong tournament, nobody can steal the golden paddle from the master. Kristen wants in on the ping-pong, she got the crazy idea that she can win it!!!

Drew

Mark you might want to make it 20 yards. I ain't 12 years old anymore.