Sunday, May 14, 2006

Musings on Elder Foster

I enjoyed talking to Drew so much on Saturday and realized once again how much I love him and how much I love what a mission does for young men and young women. I'm so impressed with his dedication and focused efforts. I had some other thoughts about him.
  • I feel he has been quite a bit sicker than he has let on. He told me kind of without saying much that he had come down with malaria many more times than he has indicated. I worry about the long term effects of this on him to tell you the truth.
  • I thought his speech pattern was a little different and he really had some strange way of saying things but overall, I think his talking was just fine compared to what I thought it would be. He just kind of talked with a funny way of saying some things, small, small. He certainly is "getting it"
  • I think the Goose is profoundly different than when he started his mission. I note a humility and humbleness that only comes from living so completely in that culture. I think we will have a person who thinks we are right on the border of decadent living when he comes home.
  • He told us they are the highest baptizing mission in the church. Before they split the mission he said they were baptizing 5,000 per year. Last month they baptized 259 in the mission...in one month. That is a ward a month. I hope they retain a lot, but they probably have a problem in that area.
  • He said that now in the mission they have about 40% of the Elders from non -African areas. I think this is a result of so many Africans not knowing how the church runs and they need more experienced Elders with how the church functions.
  • He is still very focused. Didn't want to talk about anything to do with coming home. School, living with Addie, Kristen, going to the Ranch....nothing. The man is a missionary machine at this point.

I am so grateful Drew is serving the Lord in this way. I am glad he is there but I will be glad when he is home. Thanks so much for each of you and taking the time to talk to him. It is amazing to me that spread out as we are, we were all able to talk to him like we did.

Have a great week.

Dad

2 comments:

Tankfos said...

What are you talking about not jacked? I thought he was super jacked, the boy can't speak right.

Ad

Mark said...

Your right about Goose being a missionary machine right now, which is great. But I do think he will have a rough transition being home. Oh well. We all survived it. So can he.

And his speech is so annoying . . .

Do you think he's going to run track again?