Sunday, July 09, 2006

First Annual Foster Family Reunion

Hello, everyone. This is the Markster speaking.

These are a few random pictures from our family's wonderful autumn out at the Skalla's ranch last year. (Pay particular attention to the extra-manly shot of a man with his downed bird. I remind you all again: ain't no other Foster can prove hisself as a man fit to put meat on the table for his fambly the old fashioned way ---by killin' it dead!!!)

I post these photos now to whet your appetite for the upcoming First Annual Foster Reunion.

Yes, I term it a Reunion, because I believe that with Drew's homecoming, we have entered into a new age with the Fam. We are now scattered across four states (soon to be five), there are now four grandchildren in the mix, and the opportunities for us all to be together will become fewer and fewer. With that in mind, I have a few proposals for the approaching shindig, which will begin on the evening of Sunday, July 23rd when we all arrive at the ranch around 7 pm and last through the morning of Wednesday, July 26th.


First of all, I think the majority of the time should be unstructured and carefree. Just a lot of 4 wheelin' and guitar playin'. But I do think a few planned activities would be good.

My proposals:

1) The Manliest Man Competition: each Foster boy will invent some sort of wilderness test of might and machismo, such as log chucking or woodchopping. We will then all compete in each others games and declare an overall winner. I propose that Adam and Drew be in charge of this.

2) Official Campfire Night: Every one that wants to gets to perform up to 2 of their individual songs, and then we have a program of 5 or 6 classic campfire songs, such as Rocky Mountain High or We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore. :) S'mores will be provided, of course. I propose that Jeff and Ty be in charge of this.

3) Foster Films Presents: We take a couple of hours one afternoon to make one final Foster Boy Movie, complete with a new villain in the mold of Darth Orchtch or Santa Claws. I propose that I be in charge of this, since I'm so dang good at it, along with Megan's help. We'll premiere the show that night in the cabin.

4) Official Family Council: agenda to be decided soon, but this is a must. A key item to discuss will be setting times and places for the next few years of similar reunions so that we can all begin to plan accordingly. This important meeting would naturally fall to the Big Fella, as the Patriarch of the Family, the Old Man on the Mountain, so to speak. The Sage of the San Juans. The Confucius of Colorado. The Buddha of the Bahamas. (?)


Beyond those planned events, I have a few other ideas:

1) Every family will be in charge of one meal. There will be a total of eight meals, and so that means that Mom and Dad, Mark and Elizabeth, Ty and Dana, Matt and Wendi (if they can make it), and Jeff and Angie all will have one assigned meal. Adam and Megan can be in charge of one (we all might want to skip out of that one:), and so can Drew and Kristen, if they so desire. That would leave one extra meal; maybe the Matriarch of the family wouldn't mind headin' up a second one. Mom could also be in charge of generating these assignments.

2) At every meal, the assigned family should also have a Music Playlist, a healthy helping of 5 or 6 songs to set the mood for the meal. These could be classical, new age, rock, folk, whatever your little heart desires. It's kind of like Donny Osmond once said: "Life is just what you make of it." :) The Old Man could be principally in charge of making sure this happens.

3) Lastly, each person at the reunion should bring one "coffee table book". For instance, I'm bringing a book (that I stole from Dad) called "1,000 Years, 1,000 People" that purports to list in order the 1,000 most infuential people of the preceding millenium. Quite interesting to read. Maybe you have a Dilbert collection or a National Parks Book or whatever. It would be fun to have an eclectic collection of books on the coffee table to provide some light yet illuminating reading. If Matt and Wendi can make it, then this can be their baby.

There you have it.

As I've said before, I'm an idea man. Got lots of 'em. And there's more where these come from. Please respond to this post by making a comment and letting me and the family know what you think. Pending your input, I will put together a rough outline of activities and meal assignments. Remember, all my ideas are great, so you cannot dispute them. Just remember that.

It's going to be a great weekend at the Ranch, one to remember forever!

8 comments:

Angie said...

Mark--

As always, your ideas are great. I just have a few qustions/suggestions...

First, what exactly do you mean by Foster "boy" movie? Are the Foster girls not goofy enough or something? Speaking as one of them, I sure would hate to miss out on that fun. I also think it's important that the grandchildren, especially Joy and Grant since they can talk, should get at least a small role, since kids change the fastest and are therefore the most important to get on film.

Second, the Foster Family Council is the most important thing that needs to happen, and I'm really looking forward to it. In case Matt and Wendi would like to be there, though, and in case they can't make it to the Ranch, we maybe should plan on having the Family Council earlier that week in Denver, when everyone can come. Maybe one of them could respond and tell us their preference...

Finally, we have to remember that Dean and Judy will be there at the Ranch. In all of our celebration of Fosterism, I hope that our planned activities will include them as much as they want to be included...

As a side note, I know that everyone's been either traveling, moving, or too busy to blog for other reasons, but it was refreshing to read something new on the family site. Thanks for bringing something new to the blogging table. Maybe this will start a new wave of posts...

Tankfos said...

I agree with what you said. I especially like the idea of Addie being in charge of the manly events. I like the idea of indian leg wrestling, even though I got a bum like, the other one can still hold its own. One other idea that I think could be fun would be another home run derby with a wiffle ball. That was a lot of fun last time.

Ad

Ps-I think we should plan on the family council the week before around the great round table like Angie said

Dad said...

Marster,
Once again you have outdone yourself. I think it is a very good idea to think about these things. Some things to think of;

We are only going to be there for 48 hours or so. I calculate that you have outlined agendas that will take at least 96 hours to accomplish. (cranking in the old 4-wheeler time we need, plus plain old chillin'

Angie is right on with thinking about Dean and Judy. While nothing we do would be anything that they wouldn't be welcomed at, I'm not sure they would much care for the manly contests, our family council etc. I think it would be a hoot to have them in the movie and having Joy and Grant involved is absolutly a necessity. This one needs to be a classic for all time.

I think the family council is really important and I suggest we not do it at the ranch to tell you the truth. We need to make sure all can make it and I was thinking Sunday the 16th, late after the kids are in bed might fit the ticket or perhaps the night of the 21st at some time. Mom and I have been looking at this window of time when we are all together and it is going to be hectic.

Meal plans are a great idea. Need to plan the menus and buy the food before we go as we don't want Judy and Dean having to fit any of the Foster food tab. Maybe we can all share in the cost of that. (excluding those derelicts that have no money......read Adam, Drew, Kristen etc.)

In general I think your ideas are admirable, albeit a bit over the top as far as qty.

Keep the ideas coming, Idea Man.

Dad

Megan said...

Mark,

You are always one with great, awe-inspiring, and commendable ideas but here is my two cents on everything...

First the Manliest Man competition should not be instated because what about the women in the family. I am someone who hates to sit on the sidelines and watch as everyone (in this case the boys) have fun. It was a great idea but should include as many people that want to join and instead should be called the "Manliest Foster". Because I would like to join, Even if I get beat soundly I want to fight back because I am a women hear me roar!(Need I remind you that everyone said I couldn't handle the mash potato competition and in my first year I placed second, Above you. I am not meaning to rub it in or anything...)

Second I am deeply offended by your comment about my cooking given the fact that I would like to become a chef when I a older and I make some mean roast duck, boiled in mango sauce and served in a sauce of which I will not give the secret away. (I really would expect something like this from you so really it didn't offend me that much.)

Next I am willing to help you on the movie as long as I great a star role and what is this Foster "boy" movie the girls will have a large role in the movie if I am going to be the co-director.

Finally the music playlist is a good idea accept not everyone has an iPod Mark so it will be harder for the non-iPod folk to create playlists. I am willing although no one will like what I pick. Actually my music selection is very good.

One more thing if we agree to this we need to make sure everyone does it, not just you and me but all the member of the family. With that I think you are a funny man with fantastic ideas. (You may be funny… LOOKING!) ha-ha

Tyler said...

Mark,

A useful and productive post in preparation for a fun week and a half...

I like all of the ideas offered by Mark for the "reunion." However, I agree that the council should take place prior to the ranch time. The movie and singing sounds very nice indeed. The 4-wheelin's will be great and so will the manly competition. However, it should be expanded to integrate all Fosters willing to put their mettle to the test, to go toe-to-toe with toughness, to grunt and sweat it out with the hulkingest of hunks in the family.

I like the playlist and coffee book ideas, but they should be by way of open invitation, not by despotic requirement.

Someone should assign meals to teams like Mark suggested and for most of them, simplicity should be the name of the game. I think it is important to consult Dean and Judy about food.

Also, I don't think we have to worry about D&J feeling left out of things...that's just not their style.

We can't wait.

Ty

PS Megan, who won that mash potato contest that Mark placed last in?

Danalin said...

Mark,

Great ideas! We are lucky to have such a wonderful idea man in the family. I like that this is being recognized as the first of many family reunions - it seems that we are definitely to that point.

I concur with previous posts of having the family council so that everyone can be in attendance. I think that's important.

I am with Angie in wanting to be a part of this great legacy of Foster movies. Max and I are gearing up. I think this may finally be the chance for fame I've been seeking since I was 6 years old. My birthday wish for many years was that I could be in a commercial. I think that this film will give me the exposure that I need to get my start. I can't wait!

I have a question about meals - is there a stove and an oven? What about a microwave? I hope you're ready to be wowed by my culinary skills... :) We would be happy to do one or more meals. Just let us know!

I am excited for the whole experience! Lots of time with the fam in close quarters as well as experiencing the ranch for the first time. I imagine that my love for the Foster Fam will only increase over the next week and a half. And I am so excited to meet Drew!

See you all soon! Thanks again, Mark, for taking charge of this and helping to make it even more memorable.

Julie said...

How did I find the Foster Family Blob while looking for any evidence of our Skalla family Blog on the internet! I must admit I looked at the individual family blogs and it was fun seeing what all of you are doing! So far, most of the Skalla family is blogless! Just can't seem to get them interested! good for you Foster Family. It is a great way to keep each other posted. Hope you had a great time at the Ranch!!

Julie (&Randy) Skalla

Julie said...

Forgot to leave our blogspot...rjskallafamily.blogspot.com