Sunday, July 12, 2009

The 2009 Foster and Boice Reunions Are Bearing Down on Us!

***Updated July 16, 2009 after taking input from the people***

The time is short and the anticipation is building for the 2009 Foster and Boice reunions in Iron Springs. Unfortunately, we will be down a few families, namely the Matthew Fosters, the Jeffrey Fosters and the Andrew Fosters. You will be missed sorely, but we will try to have a good time anyway.

I figured I would restart a conversation from email a few weeks ago about the schedule. Please make any comments you want and don't be shy as this is just to start the discussion. Nothing is set in stone and we can change things around as much as we want. I made tentative assignments in parentheses.

For meals, I propose that we only assign dinners. Maybe we should coordinate some simple breakfast and lunch stuff. Mick has requested to prepare 1 breakfast

Friday:
PM-Arrive and settle into cabins
Mom and Megan(?) will already be there
Tyler Foster's will hopefully arrive around 6 or 7 pm
Everyone else?

Dinner-Margaret and Megan

Saturday:
AM-brunch at pavillon
PM-activities*
4PM-dedication of Tom Arnold Memorial (new ping pong tables, equipment, plaque)
(Lots of Carson relatives, too)
6PM-Dinner at tennis courts (Foster Family in charge, Taco Salad)
Later-evening activities*

Sunday:
AM-devotional and brunch
PM-afternoon activities*

Dinner-Adam and Laura

*Activities will include: climbing, hike, ping pong tourney, b-ball, scavenger hunt, relaxing, conversing, etc.

Monday:
AM-Mick and Mag do babysitting and the boys take their wives on a short rock climbing tour (Meg can come too, but you better not bring a husband!)
later AM-matinee movie for all (kids too! Hopefully, Jane will just sleep.) Adam seems to think that Jane will not be interested. Possible movies are G-Force and Ice Age @ ~11:00 am.
PM-Early evening family trip to Flat Rock (Adam and Laura)
Later-Ty challenges Mark to a "Stars" rematch, Hearts or Nertz tournament

Breakfast-Mick
Dinner-Ty and Dana

Tuesday:
AM-Golfing (18 holes) (or maybe in the evening we could get a better rate?)
PM-Manliest man competition *I have some ideas about this to make it a "real" manliest man competition*(Tyler), family games for everyone, Crossword challenge? (Mark and Liz)
Later-movie in Prescott (not all can go due to babysitting)

Dinner-Mark and Liz

Wednesday:
AM-Women do something equivalent to men's golfing in Prescott
PM-A short hike around the railroad tracks (Mick and Mag)
Dana and Mick free throw contest, Laura has said she wants in, but with some very tough (unfair?) rules :-) We'll see if the Mick can handle it...
Later-Dinner at a resteraunt in Prescott (any ideas? Mick's buying so the sky's the limit! He says "no" but I know him well enough to know he really means "yes!")

Thursday:
AM-say our goodbyes and depart

Breakfast? - Margaret

5 comments:

Laura said...

It sounds like it is going to be a blast. A few comments from as follows.

1. I don't see a need to do a manliest man competition due to the fact that it will only be Ty, Mark, and Adam (and maybe the Mick) and it won't be much of competition.

2. Laura and I have been honing our hearts skills and will take any and all challengers.

3. Laura would like to be a part of the free throw competition. The only catch is that she only has to hit the rim and Dad has to shot with his left hand. We have had several similar shootouts ourselves and let me tell you she is tough to beat.

4. Laura and I are up for one movie but will probably not go to the kids movie due to the fact that we are 1. poor and 2. our child will only be 6 weeks old.

5. I wouldn't mind a nertz tournament. I am not sure if Ty suggested that but I was too lazy to check.

Sounds like fun! Seeya!

Dad said...

Thanks, Ty for taking the iniative. I was thinking maybe it would be much less structured than before since so many won't be there but I happen to like a bit of organization as long as there is a lot of flexiblility.

We are all really going to miss the Matt Foster, Jeff Fosters and the Drew Fosters for sure.

Here are some thoughts:

1) We need a family ping-pong tournament. Won't be much of a contest since Goose and Mrs. Goose won't be there, but the defending champ will whip all challengers.

2) Golf is a great idea. Might be tough to get on, but let's do it. I'm not sure which would be the cheapest course but Eric or Warren will know so we can set it up. It would be Ty, Mark, Addie and Dad, right?

3) I keep hearing about these challenges to my free throw championship (unspoken but you know what I mean) Why don't we just say at the start that Dana and Laura have already made 9 out of 10 before starting and then go from there. I'll still beat 'em. And why the left hand? I will shoot with no hands!!

4) I want some time just for reading. Have a book I want to get finished so I'll just do on my own somehow.

5) Dinner is a great idea. Mick is not buying so that may restrict the choices. We are past that stage of our lives so get used to it. I think there is a couple of good Mexican places in town but we can ask around about that also.

6) How about we have a crossword puzzle challenge.....men against the women or something like that? both teams do exactly the same puzzle and have 30 minutes to complete it. Team with the most correct answers wins if neither team finishes.

7) Not sure why I volunteered for breakfast but that actually sounds like fun. I solicit help from Margaret but we will have a breakfast that will knock your socks off. Probably will be at the Carson cabin at 9 a.m.

8) What would Iron Springs be without a Nertz tournament....the original real game.... and a Hearts tournament. Let's do it after the kids are asleep one night.

9) Still need to make a video of all the goings on. Everyone's pictures will need to be collected and sent to Jeff. I know he isn't going to be there but the man knows how to make a video and when he gets time he could do that. We could show it at Christmas.

Again, Ty, thanks for taking the lead. In all honesty the fun is just to see everyone and enjoy the time together.

See everyone in a couple of weeks.

Love,
Dad

Mark said...

Looks good. The picture, I mean. I can't believe how everyone's changed. The kids are getting so big! And darker hair.

I agree with nixing the manliest man. Goose has that one sewn up anyways, at least until he has a few years to become an old washed up has-been like the rest of us.

Nertz is good, hearts is good, but I don't think we need an official tourney. Just let it happen. The crossword challenge sounds fun. Sort of.

I like the Man's outing/Woman's outing ideas.

Mostly, I'd like to have it loosely planned like Ty suggests and then just see what happens.

I'm planning on coasting into Prescott one night with my lights off, if anyone cares to join.

Mark

dan price said...

Mickey...you may not remember me.I grad from Catalina High in 1963. knew your brother,Jamie. I, among other things over the years, was a sports writer in the Phoenix area. Now, at 64, I'm retired and have a sports blog were I discuss...the old days...and in particular people who have played for the UofA. I'm doing a Where are they now? And would like to do a short story on you. Please adv a contact by email if you are interested. My name is Dan Price and my blog is: bookemdanosports.blogspot.com

Dad said...

Dan,
If you read this contact me at mimame8foster@comcast.net. I would be glad to talk to you if you want.

Mickey Foster